Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Step 1

My name is Andy and I live to dance.

The earliest memory I have of being obsessed with dancing is in the 80s with break dancing. I was the go-to guy for the cowboy, the pancake and the occasional donkey kick. Eventually I broke my thumb during a cowboy move in the streets of Seoul.

From then I would dance but not until the 90s would my obsession return with the rave scene in L.A. I had the obligatory glow sticks as well as a pacifier which lasted me most of the time until I eventually popped it. This is when I really started following electronica but eventually that passed as well.

In the 00's, I took a divergent path in music and started following bands such as Sleater-Kinney, Erase Errata and Von Iva. My friend and I were pretty much groupies, running fan sites for Von Iva and going on multi-state tours. Still, I didn't give up dancing as I would rock out with my friends up in the front row.

Then Von Iva went on a hiatus and I was pulled back to the dance scene. I met my then girlfriend at a club and we started dancing twice every weekend. Unfortunately, the relationship didn't last but I didn't give up on my dancing.

So here's a journal of my experience, mostly observations about the music, the DJs, the venue, the crowd and events.

No comments:

Post a Comment